Big Timber and Sweet Grass County continue to be beautiful areas to visit or live. Sweet Grass County is truly where the plains become the Rockies and is known for magnificent scenery and western culture!
Surrounded on three sides by the Absaroka-Beartooths and the Crazy Mountains, our area hosts the gateway to the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness and contains breath-taking scenery. The Yellowstone River, Boulder River, and the many smaller streams in our county provide some of the most acclaimed fishing, camping, and outdoor recreational opportunities in the state.
Spend some time in Big Timber and the Sweet Grass County area to experience western hospitality off the fast lane. Our annual Rodeo, Sweet Grass Fest, Crazy Mountain Christmas, and County Fair are exciting events for the whole family.
10 Things You Can do
only in Sweet Grass County
1. Fish the West Boulder River from the window of your cabin at the McLeod Resort.
2. Stop in for a "Green River" at the old fashioned soda fountain at Cole Drug
3. Float the Yellowstone River following the same path as Lewis and Clark
4. Order a rifle or watch the making of one at C Sharps or Shiloh Rifle, two fine historic rifle manufacturers
5. Shop the wonderful boutiques, clothing, quilting and hardware stores downtown Big Timber
6. Picnic in Lion's Club Park as your children play on the custom designed play area or take a dip in the pool.
7. Hike around the Natural Bridge area south of town or head north and hike to the waterfalls at Half Moon Park in the Crazies.
8. Step back and enjoy a meal at the historic Grand Hotel..You won't be disappointed.
9. Catch a trout in either of 2 Blue Ribbon Trout Streams--the Boulder River or the Yellowstone.
10. Enjoy the Rodeo Parade and Sweet Grass Fest the last weekend in June.
Take a look at these short videos
Sweet Grass Getaway by Jon Catton
Sweet Grass Fest
Sweet Grass Fest is a celebration with a purpose – Ridin’ Ropin’ –n- Rockin’! Coupled with the Big Timber Rodeo whose roots run deep into the heart of Rodeo and Montana history, Sweet Grass Fest is designed to share our special place in Montana, Sweet Grass County, with family, friends and visitors alike. . Scheduled for June 26-27, 2015, Sweet Grass Fest is a community festival held in conjunction with the Big Timber Rodeo, that includes a fun run, an antique car and cycle show, a street fair with vendor and live music, the rodeo parade, and rounds out each evening with professionally produced concerts featuring country-rock artists from all over the country. The weekend is also a host of other family-friendly events designed to celebrate the history, culture and traditions of Big Timber and Sweet Grass County. Sweet Grass Fest is the primary fundraising event for the Sweet Grass Chamber each year
Register here for the 5k/10k fun run
Buy your tickets to the Friday and Saturday night concerts here. https://ticketriver.com/event/15347