Welcome to Sweet Grass County
Welcome to Sweet Grass County where the prairies meet the mountains—specifically the Crazy Mountains and the Absaroka-Beartooth Ranges. The town of Big Timber sits in the valley formed by the confluence of the Boulder and Yellowstone Rivers. Sweet Grass County’s magnificent scenery and western hospitality welcome the traveler.
Bigger than the State of Rhode Island, the county is 1,855 square miles - 449 of which are public lands offering amazing fishing, camping, and recreation opportunities for individuals and families alike.
Join us... to make new memories with friends and family. You will want to come back again and again.
Sweet Grass County Visitor Information Center
1350 Highway 10 West
Open Memorial Day Weekend - Labor Day Weekend
Come by to say hi and get some great tips for your trip!
Show off your love for Big Timber with a Big Timber t-shirt featuring a painting from local artist Robin Higgins
Buy one at
$5.00 of your purchase goes towards supporting
the Sweet Grass County Chamber of Commerce
5 Things You Can do
............only in Sweet Grass County
1. Admire the strength and power of water at Natural Bridge Falls and Picnic Area.
2. Explore the Crazy Mountains by visiting Half Moon Park where the Big Timber Falls (aka Half-moon Falls) are an easy 1/2 mile walk from the campground and pristine Blue Lake is only 5 1/2 miles farther up the trail.
3. Shop the wonderful boutiques, galleries, clothing, quilting, and hardware stores in downtown Big Timber.
4. Check out a town full of furry residents at Prairie Dog State Park.
5. Catch a trout in either of Sweet Grass County’s Blue Ribbon Rivers, The Yellowstone River or The Boulder River, or one of the many streams flowing into these rivers.